City of Johannesburg Profile
The City of Johannesburg, or commonly referred to by its local residents as Joburg, is a vibrant metropolitan city in South Africa rich in culture and history. Johannesburg was named after Johannes Meyer and Johannes Rissik, the officials of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR). The city was originally founded in 1886, when the settlement was establishment and gold was discovered in the region of Witwatersrand. Upon discovery of such fortunes, thousands of surrounding people made their way to Joburg to seek for opportunities and pave their own legacies. Decades later, Johannesburg still possess the same attractive charm and houses ambitious people who are more than ready to chase their dreams.
What once started out as a small settlement filled with explorers greatly transformed into a hub of leading industries and astounding economic growth. The city has become the witness of historical events, such as the victory of Springboks over All Beats in the 1995 Rugby World Cup. Citizens of Joburg are constantly nurtured under the city’s quality services. The local government makes sure that everyone is protected in a supportive environment, where citizen participation is highly encouraged and the government is responsive. Taking “Service with Pride” seriously, the City of Johannesburg is a community of excellence.
About City of Johannesburg Bursaries 2021-2022
The City of Johannesburg is providing fruitful bursary opportunities for students who require financial assistance to pursue their undergraduate education. The City of Johannesburg Bursaries is welcoming passionate youths who are striving to accomplish their studies in a number of study fields. The aim of this bursary programme is to invest in the city’s socio-economic standards and provide accessibility for students to receive their HET and/or FET qualification. Underprivileged students who do not have the necessary financial means of continuing their academic studies are encouraged to give this bursary a shot.
The City of Johannesburg Bursaries is mainly offered to citizens of South Africa. Candidates are expected to be legal residents of Johannesburg. Additionally, candidates must provide proof that they are to pursue their full-time undergraduate studies in either one of these study courses:
- Build Environment (Architecture, Construction)
- Real Estate (Property Management, Property Valuation)
- Local Government Science/Political Science
- Public Management
- International Relations and Protocol
- Quantity Surveying
- Actuarial Science
- Health (Nursing)
- Information Technology
- Communications/Social Media
- Production and Operations Management
- Town and Regional Planning
- Sports Science
- Finance (Accounting, Auditing, Small Business Management, Supply Chain Management, Treasury, Economists)
- Emergency Management Services
- Curatorial Studies
- Community Services
- Engineering (all Fields)
- Environmental Management
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Geo Information Science (GIS)
- Quality Assurance
- Municipal Governance
Awardees of the City of Johannesburg Bursary will be entitled to financial coverage of up to R35 OOO/academic year. The bursary can be used to pay off registration fees, tuition expenses, and prescribed study materials.
City of Johannesburg Bursary Requirements
The City of Johannesburg Bursary expects candidates to fulfill a series of eligibility criteria before beginning their registrations. Each of these items below will determine whether you are well-deserving enough of the financial assistance that will be issued. To guarantee a successful application, it is advisable that you meet all these requirements below. Failure to do so might put you in a disadvantageous position under the selection committee’s eyes.
The City of Johannesburg Bursary Requirements are as follows:
- Candidates must possess an impressive academic track records
- Planning to study in a recognized tertiary institution in South Africa
- Candidates must actively apply for admissions in their desired tertiary institution
- The bursary programme is only available for student programmes conducted at least for one year (no less)
- Candidates have the choice to renew their bursary on a yearly basis, provided they show impressive academic results
- The City of Johannesburg Bursary is not available for candidates planning to pursue a post graduate qualification.
How to Apply City of Johannesburg Bursary 2021-2022
Candidates of the City of Johannesburg Bursary must first visit the Official City of Johannesburg Vacancies Website. You will need to check the availability status of the bursary that you are interested in.
Previously, candidates of this programme are required to download an application form. However, it is different this time. Applications now take place directly online. Not only will you need to fill in an online application form directly on the website, you will also need to upload several documents as well. These should be valid copies of:
- South African Identity Document
- Your updated academic track record
- Legitimate proof of residing in Johannesburg (e.g. statement of taxes, rates, etc.)
- Proof of your household income.
Announcements are only made to shortlisted candidates only. Should you have any further enquiries or concerns regarding the City of Johannesburg Bursary, do not hesitate to reach out to the contact person below:
Contact Person: Billy Baloyi
Tel No: +27 11 407 6979
Workplace: 2nd Metropolitan Centre
City of Johannesburg Contact Address
6th Floor, B Block, Metropolitan Centre, 158 Civic Boulevard, Braamfontein
P.O. Box 1049, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2000
Tel: +27 11 407 6711
Fax: +27 11 339 1878
Source: City of Johannesburg; Author: Larxsati; Editor: Melisa; Picture: joburg.org.za.